From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Dave Bender <codehero@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Emerging into SYSROOT causes packages to install in host system
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:05:07
1 On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 05:45 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 April 2008, Dave Bender wrote:
3 > > I am attempting to cross compile x86 packages on an x86_64 host. In
4 > > particular, when I attempt to emerge baselayout-2 into my SYSROOT path,
5 > > emerge wants to emerge baselayout-2 into my host system. PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT
6 > > is also set to the SYSROOT, so I do not understand why for example,
7 > > package.mask on my host system is taken into account at all when emerge
8 > > determines dependencies.
9 > > I am following the instructions in Chapter 5 of the Embedded Gentoo
10 > > Handbook to the letter and do not understand why this behaviour is
11 > > occurring.
12 >
13 > please post the exact commands as well as resulting output. us guessing at
14 > what exactly you're doing simply causes confusion and wastes yours and our
15 > time.
16
17 Mike, actually I think I know the bug he is hitting.
18 If portage sees that you have a dep not installed on / even if you pass
19 ROOT=/somedir SYSCONFIG=/usr/$CTARGET ARCH=arm CHOST=arm-something
20 emerge -pvq someapp ; you will get
21 [ebuild N ] app-foo/bar
22 [ebuild N ] app-foo/bar $ROOT
23
24 So if you are using a wrapper and blindly start merging.. Cross compiled
25 shit will end up on / despite you not asking for it. Zac says this is
26 current expected behavior but I'd outright call it the most fscked up
27 portage behavior ever along with the recent INSTALL_MASK= no longer
28 working when using -K
31 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list