From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Natanael Copa <mlists@××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] hardened uclibc gentoo stages
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:30:48
1 On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 16:36, Natanael Copa wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:32:20 -0400
3 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 03:12, Natanael Copa wrote:
6 > > > I think I finally got some time to continue with my uclibc gentoo
7 > > > project.
8 > > >
9 > > > As I understood it, its easiest to strat from scratch when using
10 > > > hardened. Is there any place I can get uclibc hardened stages to get
11 > > > started?
12 > >
13 > > The first generation stages were hardened ones.
14 > >
15 > > http://oc12.net/~solar/uclibc/gentoo/x86/packages
16 > > Lots of fixes have happened from this time.
17 >
18 > I browsed the dirs and found somehting called ipkg. What is that?
19
20 It's WiKi page needs to be updated but..
21 http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/Ipkg
22
23 It's something I'm testing out while in the search of an ideal way of
24 embedded package management. I learned about it via the OpenWrt project
25 ( http://openwrt.org ) which I also have an active interest in. There is
26 no ebuild for it at this time.
27
28 Compact Flash Sub Package Management is something that has yet to really
29 be decided and or discussed in any meaningful manor..
30 It's can go any direction that _we_ the community need/want it to go.
31
32 This much is assumed.
33 We want to use the portage system as our package building system.
34 We don't want (perl|bash) scripts/(man|info|doc)-pages.
35 *.a, *.la and *.h files will be handled by another FEATURE= somewhere
36 else down the line probably in ebuild.sh so it's transparent to the
37 packages themselves.
38
39 But we have some questions.
40 Do we want to remove these from packages when they are still in
41 .tbz2 format?
42 Do we want to use (gzip|bzip2) compression for the packages themselves?
43 Is complying to busybox only commands a must?
44 What must the package management do?
45 Fetch remote files and install t
46 Clearly many packages will want behavior of a read-write system so
47 should we patch programs to behave on read-only systems?
48 Should we use the /tmp dir at all or stick strictly to /dev/shm/ for
49 security reasons?
50 Do we just want to use the tbz2 and write a simple emerge.sh which
51 handles the lowest of level functions.
52
53 Arghh.. I wish I/we could take an easy poll on our website.
54
55 So many options.. Input needed..
58 > We are using apkg
59 > http://www.tetrasec.net/index.cgi?page=ApkgLRP
60 > with our heavy modified bering (http://leaf.sf.net)
61 >
62 > It has some serious limitations that has caused some problems for us so
63 > we are looking for something else. We are actually talking about writing
64 > a new one from scratch.
65 >
66 > So I am a bit curious about this ipkg.
67 --
68 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
69 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer