From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Janusz Syrytczyk <jsyrytczyk@×××××××××.pl>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Embedded stage - why kernels and headers 2.4 not 2.6?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:37:14
1 On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Janusz Syrytczyk wrote:
2 > > Why all kernels below 2.5 are ok and others are masked?
3 >
4 > You look, you find:
5 >
6 > "unlike the default-linux and standard hardened profiles we felt it
7 > unneeded to force a 2.6 sub profile or we did not wish to have to
8 > maintain twice as many profiles. Also all the last releases
9 > were for all 2.4.x kernels. upgrading to 2.6.x is easy as -pie
10 > however.. Just update headers, uclibc, kernel and modules.
11 > Then go update everything else where needed. "
12
13 the other part is that unlike glibc, uClibc cannot (currently) build against
14 2.6 headers and run on 2.4 kernels. uClibc will use whatever features are
15 available. so if 2.6 has a newer way of doing something (like mount), then
16 uClibc will use whatever your headers say. but try to do it on an older
17 system where the functionality is not available and you get runtime failures.
18 glibc on the other hand builds support for every call ands will fallback to
19 older and older methods until something works.
20 -mike