From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] CellPhone Hacking
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:32:40
1 On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 08:53 -0400, wireless wrote:
2 > Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > So I've had a fun past few weeks.
4 > >
5 > > I've had a HTC Wizard (arm926ej-s) phone for a while now that runs
6 > > Windows Mobile 5. It's a nice little piece of hardware but it's WM5
7 > > based so... A user joins the #gentoo-embedded channel asking for
8 > > some help a few weeks ago saying he is trying to get linux running
9 > > on the Wizard. I kinda laugh to myself. The user comes back a day
10 > > or two later and is still working on it. We talk for a little while
11 > > and he suggests I join #linwizard. Everything went downhill from
12 > > there. Before I knew it I was completely redoing the entire
13 > > userland and hacking up touchscreen ebuilds, keywording for ~arm
14 > > left and right and making current gpe overlay ebuilds that
15 > > cross compile. Anyway it's been going good and we just have a
16 > > little more hardware to figure out before we can completely replace
17 > > the WM5 image. I now have 423 pkgs cross compiled for
18 > > armv5te-softfloat-linux-gnueabi.
19 >
20 > Hello Ned,
21 >
22 > Do you know which cellular carriers offer service, with this phone,
23 > here in the US? My current provider is Alltel.
24
25 The Wizard is sold by Cingular as the 8125, T-Mobile carries the phone
26 as the "MDA". Sprint and Verizon carry the phone under another name.
27 It's also sold rebranded as a Qtek S200. People have reported success
28 with the Wizard's kernel on the HTC Prophet.
29
30 Newer models use a PXA270 chip at ~400Mhz vs the omap850/200Mhz I'm
31 using.
32
33 Note. for cellular service we have only been able to successfully make
34 calls via issuing AT commands to the modem directly. IE.. We can make
35 calls but have no sound driver yet..
38 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list