From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] dropbear, gethostbyname(), timeout
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:32:37
1 On Thursday 21 February 2008, Jason wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Peter Stuge wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:15:17AM -0500, Jason wrote:
5 > >>> When I ssh into my board (running dropbear-0.49), if I don't have
6 > >>> the client's ip address and hostname in /etc/hosts (on the board),
7 > >>> it'll take over a minute to log in.
8 > >>
9 > >> ..
10 > >>
11 > >>> What's the proper fix?
12 > >>
13 > >> Add the client IP address to the DNS server.
14 > >>
15 > >> I would argue that this is a network configuration issue and that
16 > >> ignoring the DNS information supplied by DHCP is a design decision
17 > >> that shouldn't be taken too lightly.
18 > >
19 > > while true, reality is such that often times the guy doing the
20 > > development has no control over DHCP or DNS and no matter what he says to
21 > > his IT guys, it's gonna be broken.
22 > >
23 > > personally, i turn off dns reverse lookups in my ssh configs.
24 >
25 > I see in sshd_config(5) there is UseDNS and
26 > HostbasedUsesNameFromPacketOnly. Unfortunately, I'm unable to locate
27 > anything similar for dropbear. Do you patch it out, or just use openssh?
28
29 sorry, i was referring to openssh. i believe you are correct ... dropbear
30 doesnt have such an option.
31 -mike