From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] dropbear, gethostbyname(), timeout
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:47:48
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Peter Stuge wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:15:17AM -0500, Jason wrote:
4 >>> When I ssh into my board (running dropbear-0.49), if I don't have
5 >>> the client's ip address and hostname in /etc/hosts (on the board),
6 >>> it'll take over a minute to log in.
7 >> ..
8 >>> What's the proper fix?
9 >> Add the client IP address to the DNS server.
10 >>
11 >> I would argue that this is a network configuration issue and that
12 >> ignoring the DNS information supplied by DHCP is a design decision
13 >> that shouldn't be taken too lightly.
14 >
15 > while true, reality is such that often times the guy doing the development has
16 > no control over DHCP or DNS and no matter what he says to his IT guys, it's
17 > gonna be broken.
18 >
19 > personally, i turn off dns reverse lookups in my ssh configs.
20
21 I see in sshd_config(5) there is UseDNS and
22 HostbasedUsesNameFromPacketOnly. Unfortunately, I'm unable to locate
23 anything similar for dropbear. Do you patch it out, or just use openssh?
24
25 thx,
26
27 Jason.