From: Sven Rebhan <odinshorse@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] tzdata & friends
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:06:36
1 Hey!
2
3 > tree and update packages selectively - as long as the dependencies dont
4 > require more ... are there any other possibilities ?!? how are you
5 > handling such situations ?!?
6
7 Hmmm, why don't you just update packages selectively like
8
9 emerge -u tzdata <other packages you want updated>
10
11 instead of updating everything? Note: leave out the --deep option.
12 I did this for years on my desktop machine and only updated world
13 from time to time. Furthermore, you can mask package versions in
14 $ROOT/etc/portage/package.mask if you really have something
15 you want to ignore.
16
17 > currently i have one --root created and stripped down environment which
18 > i rsync to the boxes (without gcc, portage tree, kernel sources) ...
19 > plus i need a gentoo system for building where i merge change into the
20 > portage tree from time to time ...
21 > [...]
22 > after all i should come up with a solution where the customer can do the
23 > update on its own ...
24
25 Ummm, the way I (and others) do it is building binpkgs in the
26 cross-compile environment and then update the embedded
27 system(s) using these binpkgs. This way your customer can
28 update from your FTP/HTTP/... binpkg server with
29 emerge -ug <packages>. The only thing you have to make
30 sure is, you either mask all package you don't want them to
31 update or to provide all updateable packages as binaries.
32
33 You might want to have a look at
34 http://gentoo.mindzoo.de
35 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/embedded-cross.git;a=summary
36
37 even though the documentation is a bit outdated. *hint*
38
39 Regards,
40
41 Sven
42
43 P.S.: Maybe you also want to join #gentoo-embedded on freenode!?!