From: Marcus Priesch <marcus@××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] tzdata & friends
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:08:38
1 Hi Sven,
2
3 Am Freitag, den 11.06.2010, 10:30 +0200 schrieb Sven Rebhan:
4 > Hmmm, why don't you just update packages selectively like
5 >
6 > emerge -u tzdata <other packages you want updated>
7
8 yes, but arent chances great that over time ther needs to be a major
9 e.g. python upgrade as the old version just disappeared from the portage
10 tree ?!?
11
12 > instead of updating everything? Note: leave out the --deep option.
13 > I did this for years on my desktop machine and only updated world
14 > from time to time. Furthermore, you can mask package versions in
15 > $ROOT/etc/portage/package.mask if you really have something
16 > you want to ignore.
17
18 yes, i know - but same thing as above ... when kernel trees disappear in
19 the portage tree ... you need to upgrade anyway ... thats why i thought
20 of having a seperate portage tree managed ...
21
22 > Ummm, the way I (and others) do it is building binpkgs in the
23 > cross-compile environment and then update the embedded
24 > system(s) using these binpkgs. This way your customer can
25 > update from your FTP/HTTP/... binpkg server with
26 > emerge -ug <packages>. The only thing you have to make
27 > sure is, you either mask all package you don't want them to
28 > update or to provide all updateable packages as binaries.
29
30 yes but you need a portage tree - and a sync'ed portage tree on the
31 clients to install binpkgs, or ?!?
32
33 > You might want to have a look at
34 > http://gentoo.mindzoo.de
35 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/embedded-cross.git;a=summary
36
37 thanks a lot - i will give it a try ;)
38
39 > even though the documentation is a bit outdated. *hint*
40
41 :)
42
43 > P.S.: Maybe you also want to join #gentoo-embedded on freenode!?!
44
45 yes, not now - as i must leave ... but maybe next week ...
46
47 however, things turned out that i need to have the complete "system"
48 target on my --root installed rootfs (as i need some c python package
49 which wants to compile itself ... ;)
50
51 and, yes, i love the idea of having a script running for a couple of
52 hours to create a virgin rootfs out of nothing ;)))
53
54 regards,
55 marcus.