From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Cross Dev Tricks + Hardened questions
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:07:01
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm quite sorry to annoy you, but I'm quite new to Gentoo, and the Embedded
4 Handbook (which appears to be the best information source for what I want to
5 do) does not make it clear for me.
6 I hope you'll be able to help me a little.
7
8 I have a base host system, which is a x86 hardened-profiled Gentoo 10.0.
9 I would like to use it to build target systems with the most control Gentoo
10 can offer.
11 I first looked at Catalyst but Cross-dev things seemed more accurate for
12 what I want to do.
13
14 Let's say I want to make a "example-v1" target system.
15 I want my host to build on a "example-v1-build" directory everything needed
16 to build and emerge binaries for my target system.
17 I want my host to build with "example-v1-build" files and toolchain a
18 "example-v1-target" directory which would contain emerged system.
19 "example-v1-target" would contain a very minimal system, with no gcc, emerge
20 or dev things. It just have to be able to run C/C++ binaries for a given
21 arch.
22
23 I would like to use crossdev because I want to specify which version of
24 glibc/gcc/etc I will use for one given target.
25 Furthermore, I would like my toolchain to build "hardened" binaries, as
26 those we get by using an hardened stage3.
27
28 I don't get the process from the Embedded Handbook.
29 Do I have to set some CHOST, CTARGET, ROOT or PORTAGE_CONFDIR env vars or
30 crossdev will handle that some way ?
31 How can I tell to crossdev : "build the cross toolchain to my
32 example-v1-build directory" ?
33 How can I then tell to emerge "emerge and build from my example-v1-build
34 directory to example-v1-target" ? Do I have to chroot in "example-v1-build"
35 ? In this case wouldn't I lost all emerge capabilities ?
36
37 Many thanks in advance for your help.
38 Sorry I can't figure it all by myself despite the good docs.
41 Pierre.
42 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
43 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
44 Bill Watterson