From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: takasi-y@××××××××××.jp
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] How to build stages from scratch?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 03:29:25
1 On Wednesday 11 July 2007, takasi-y@××××××××××.jp wrote:
2 > Could someone please tell me how to build stages from scratch?
3
4 catalyst is used to build all stages [natively], from scratch is done by hand
5 at the moment
6
7 > I mean, I want to have gentoo installed into the new target that does
8 > not have binary stage[123] released.
9 >
10 > Precisely, my target is sh3/sh4-nofpu, sh(SuperH) variant which has
11 > no floating point arith. I know sh is not really new, but these
12 > can not execute current sh (experimental)release, which is sh4 binary.
13
14 we dont exactly have a document covering initial porting ... about the closest
15 we have so far is:
16 http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/PORTING-HOWTO
17
18 i guess i should add some sections for how to bootstrap yourself using
19 Gentoo ...
20
21 > Now I'm trying to cross-build stage1 by xmerging each packages on PC.
22 > But, It seems that I have to stop xmerging prematually, because there
23 > are some packages which are difficult to cross build (like perl).
24 > Perhaps, I will continue build natively with the incomplete stage
25 > (stage0.5?) on the target, later.
26 >
27 > I wonder if it is right way or not.
28 > What it should be? How really were currently released stages built?
29
30 it's fine if you skip some packages like perl ... the critical things really
31 are the toolchain (gcc/binutils/libc), portage (so python too), and the
32 lowlevel utils (baselayout/gawk/sed/grep/etc...)
33
34 once you have those, you should be able to boot up natively and finish doing
35 `emerge` on the sh3 machine
36 -mike