From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] x86 flags
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:17:44
1 Hello,
2
3 Well, I got a alix.2D3+b board with an onboard Geode LX.
4
5 I intend to set up embedded Gentoo on this system,
6 eventually.
7
8 But first, I want to set up some old x86 hardware
9 on 4G CF cards, along with the Alix and TS boards, just to
10 get all of the hardware up and working. I have these (old
11 PC) systems {AMD-K6, i586, Pentium2, p3 and p4} and these
12 SBC {Alix.2D3-B (Geode) and TS-5500 (AMD elon-SC520)}.
15 I want to set up a simple gentoo install on
16 a 4G CF that will boot all of the machines above,
17 test hardware and then get individual, optimized
18 embedded gentoo running on these platforms some time in
19 the future. I have several of the CF cards, so a single
20 image that boots all of the aforementioned hardware, is the
21 goal.
22
23 Here is my proposed make.conf (generic x86) settings:
24
25 CHOST="i586-PC-linux-gnu"
26 CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
27 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
28 USE="-* -nls ncurses ssl crypt berkdb perl pcre \
29 python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog "
30
31 Maybe add these flags {fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge}
32 or will that be redundant?
33
34 Any refinements or suggestions that will work across
35 the broad range of x86 machines are most welcome.
36
37 Later, once I start building embedded gentoo from a cross
38 compiled environment, I still want to keep the same flag
39 settings across all of these x86 variants, loosing some
40 performance, but being able to use a singular set of
41 binaries on these minimalist (x86) systems.
42
43 Your comments and observations are most welcome.
46 James