From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Making a stripped-down version of Perl
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:44:19
1 René Rhéaume wrote:
2 > It is a shame to see Perl tbz2 package is two and an half times bigger
3 > than Python one, yet we use Perl almost only for autotools on embedded
4 > Gentoo. I did some research on the Web about reducing Perl size.
5
6 If you are putting autotools on an embedded system, you are doing something wrong.
7
8 --Iggy
11 > I found out at least three distributions shipping a binary package
12 > named "perl-base": Debian (I check the testing branch, as stable is
13 > synonym for outdated), Mandr* (looked at their RPM spec on CVS) and
14 > Connectiva (before Mandr*soft bought, checked from their 5.8.3-62256cl
15 > SRPM), extracted the associated file list for each, adapted them,
16 > merged them and replaced hard-coded with variables. The resulting file
17 > looks like a snippet from a shell script, that should play well with
18 > the current ebuild. I did not produce a modified ebuild yet. Whether I
19 > or someone else prepared a testing ebuild is not important. I want to
20 > test if the selected subset of files is good enough for autotools.
21 >
22 > For highly embedded environments, there is also the possibility to
23 > ship miniperl, the tiny Perl used by the Perl build system itself. I
24 > found this in the Perl spec file from Connectiva, after make install:
25 >
26 > # Now we can use the miniperl
27 > install -m 755 miniperl %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/miniperl
28 >
29 > Translated to: cd ${S};dobin miniperl
33 Stuff for sale -- http://www.brianandsara.net/temp/forsale.html
34 Gentoo Linux -- http://www.gentoo.org
35 IVTV -- http://ivtv.writeme.ch
38 Stuff for sale -- http://www.brianandsara.net/temp/forsale.html