From: Quentin Arce <qarce@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Making a stripped-down version of Perl
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:49:49
1 --- Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > René Rhéaume wrote:
4 > > It is a shame to see Perl tbz2 package is two and
5 > an half times bigger
6 > > than Python one, yet we use Perl almost only for
7 > autotools on embedded
8 > > Gentoo. I did some research on the Web about
9 > reducing Perl size.
10 >
11 > If you are putting autotools on an embedded system,
12 > you are doing something wrong.
15 Weather putting autotools on an embedded system is
16 wrong or not... you can build a very small version of
17 Perl if you are using uClibc. Then just control which
18 perl packages you emerge.
19
20 Q
21
22 > --Iggy
25 > > I found out at least three distributions shipping
26 > a binary package
27 > > named "perl-base": Debian (I check the testing
28 > branch, as stable is
29 > > synonym for outdated), Mandr* (looked at their RPM
30 > spec on CVS) and
31 > > Connectiva (before Mandr*soft bought, checked from
32 > their 5.8.3-62256cl
33 > > SRPM), extracted the associated file list for
34 > each, adapted them,
35 > > merged them and replaced hard-coded with
36 > variables. The resulting file
37 > > looks like a snippet from a shell script, that
38 > should play well with
39 > > the current ebuild. I did not produce a modified
40 > ebuild yet. Whether I
41 > > or someone else prepared a testing ebuild is not
42 > important. I want to
43 > > test if the selected subset of files is good
44 > enough for autotools.
45 > >
46 > > For highly embedded environments, there is also
47 > the possibility to
48 > > ship miniperl, the tiny Perl used by the Perl
49 > build system itself. I
50 > > found this in the Perl spec file from Connectiva,
51 > after make install:
52 > >
53 > > # Now we can use the miniperl
54 > > install -m 755 miniperl
55 > %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/miniperl
56 > >
57 > > Translated to: cd ${S};dobin miniperl
60 > --
61 > Stuff for sale --
62 > http://www.brianandsara.net/temp/forsale.html
63 > Gentoo Linux -- http://www.gentoo.org
64 > IVTV -- http://ivtv.writeme.ch
65 >
66 > --
67 > Stuff for sale --
68 > http://www.brianandsara.net/temp/forsale.html
69 > Gentoo Linux -- http://www.gentoo.org
70 > IVTV -- http://ivtv.writeme.ch
71 > --
72 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
80 Discover Yahoo!
81 Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out!
82 http://discover.yahoo.com/
83 --
84 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list