From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Making a stripped-down version of Perl
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:17:07
1 On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 07:49 -0700, Quentin Arce wrote:
2 >
3 > --- Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > René Rhéaume wrote:
6 > > > It is a shame to see Perl tbz2 package is two and
7 > > an half times bigger
8 > > > than Python one, yet we use Perl almost only for
9 > > autotools on embedded
10 > > > Gentoo. I did some research on the Web about
11 > > reducing Perl size.
12 > >
13 > > If you are putting autotools on an embedded system,
14 > > you are doing something wrong.
17 > Weather putting autotools on an embedded system is
18 > wrong or not... you can build a very small version of
19 > Perl if you are using uClibc. Then just control which
20 > perl packages you emerge.
21
22 I think the the point iggy was making is that perl really has no place
23 on the target device. I've gone down this road myself and have watched
24 many others struggle with the limitations minperl/microperl.
25
26 You really are better off to assess your target device goals. If there
27 is some task which your used to but are only aware of said functionality
28 existing in perl try asking around.. Maybe somebody else already ported
29 the idea over to ash or c or might be willing to.
30
31 Still probably no harm in having a minimalistic perl around in the
32 portage tree. We just cant promote such ideas and being any part of
33 proper embedded solutions due to file size and memory/cpu consumption
34 that goes along with using perl itself.
37 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
40 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list