From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] pxa270 cflags?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:33:32
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2
3 > I'd really like to get involved
4 > with designing a _good_ handset from the ground up, if only there was
5 > some sort of monetary incentive.
6 >
7 > I really think OM needs to buckle down if they're going to be
8 > releasing a new model based on Samsung's 6410, and I mean including a
9 > UI that makes a statement relative to the market. Really, having a 3G
10 > modem is almost standard these days. I would suggest just using the
11 > same chip 'everyone' else is using, which is the msm7200a, but it's
12 > not very open in spite of the good linux driver support and being
13 > packed with so many goodies on the inside. Aside from that, there's
14 > good ol' omap, but TI got rid of all of the baseband silicon from
15 > their chips a while ago.
18 Reading between the lines, it sounds like you want to walk on the
19 Dark (Rf) side?
20
21 Take a look here, if you really want to get into controlling the
22 Rf side of things.....
23
24 http://www.ettus.com/
25
26 http://gnuradio.org/trac
27
28 PS, If you are going along this path, I'd stick with a mainstream uP
29 and add peripherals as needed, or a FPGA design. IC companies get
30 lots of unseen pressure from governments and corporations, when there
31 sexi little SOC become available in great detail to the masses,
32 particularly those of a linux persuasion, in my experiences....
33
34 caveat emptor!
37 hth,
38 James