From: andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Antwort: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ftdi ft232r programming howto
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:03:54
1 wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> schrieb am 07/03/2006 06:18:40 PM:
2
3 > andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at wrote:
4 > > Hi list!
5 > >
6 > > Has anybody ever tried to communicate through a ft232r, which is a usb
8 > > rs232 converter?
9 > > I read through the documentation of ftdi (www.ftdichip.com) but all I
10 > > found, was the documentation for windows.
11 > > I want to make this converter work on an embedded linux box, running a
12
13 > > 2.6.14 kernel, including the module (ftdi_sio)
14 > > I see the device (/dev/ttyUSB0) but, how can I configure it (buffers,
15 > > transfer speed, ...) and how can I read from the device and write to
16 the
17 > > device.
18 >
19 > This page
20 > http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/USB-Serial.htm
21 >
22 > Says this:
23 > The US232R-100 evaluation cable is supplied in retail packaging
24 > which includes instructions together with a Drivers and Utilities
25 > CD complete with Microsoft WHQL certified VCP drivers for Windows
26 > XP. Drivers for the Apple Mac, Linux and other versions of
27 > Windows are also included on the CD.......
30 I found a header file on the cd, after getting them from our windows
31 developers *argh*
32
33 I will have a look at the header-file. Maybe, this makes it a little bit
34 clearer!
35
36 thanks for the hint!
39 > Interesting device. Did you purchase a raw chip, dev/eval kit,
40 > or a complete module ready for use?
41
42 we purchased the modules ready for use and the raw chips.
43
44 > How much does it cost, and where did you purchase it from?
45
46 the chip is about 2.50 euros. the module is about 10 euros.
47
48 > I'm looking for a way to add a serial16550/rs232) port(s) to a
49 > portable, so this might be an option....
53 Bye,
54 Andy