From: Linux GNUbie <gnubie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo Embedded Linux on Linksys Blue Boxes
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:02:06
1 On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 14:49 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > Almost of all of this can theoretically be done via Gentoo currently
5 > with a little work, but honestly Mike Bakers OpenWRT project is better
6 > suited for the task right now.
7 >
8 > These great little mipsel devices use a proprietary wireless driver
9 > module and an older kernel. So to make the solution complete at Gentoo
10 > one would require a kernel that was able to load the linksys module as
11 > well as meet the security standards for a kernel. That's where these
12 > devices and all known public sources for them fall a bit short.
13 >
14 > http://openwrt.org
15
16 Hello Solar, Samuel, Eero, and others who replied about my inquiry,
17
18 Yes, I already have an idea about the existence of the OpenWRT project
19 and quite interested with it. But since the website doesn't have a
20 final say about the full support or stability of the Linksys BEFSR41 or
21 WRT54G used as a VPN client, and I'm also a Gentoo user myself, I asked
22 here if it's possible to install Gentoo Linux instead. Not only that,
23 as I've also asked on my original post, do you think that having a
24 200Mhz processor, 16MB RAM and 4MB flash drive can be a practical and
25 viable VPN client box for a VPN IPSec connection? In short, with the
26 said hardware specs, do you think it can work as a VPN client without
27 degrading performance either the system or the data that passes through
28 the said VPN client?
29
30 Thanks again.
31