From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Auto Repair Cross Includes?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:26:07
1 On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 10:32 -0500, Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Hi Ned,
3 >
4 > I like the patch - there are probably many cases where a package does
5 > not cross compile properly when include paths are not fixed. In those
6 > cases, it would be necessary to patch the source on an
7 > ebuild-by-ebuild basis. This would eliminate the need to fix the files
8 > at an ebuild level with a relatively inexpensive check.
9 >
10 > Mike has a couple of good points too - unless it's necessary to use
11 > thee function from outside gcc or whatever library it ends up in, it
12 > may as well be marked static. Path vs name ? I think path. Regarding
13 > arbitrary non-standard include paths that could generate false
14 > positives, i have no comment.
15 >
16 > Regarding path normalization ( "//" => "/" ) - in my opinion, if gcc
17 > doesn't already do it, then forget about it - otherwise one would be
18 > obliged to fix it for the rest of gcc, no? Keep it short and simple.
19 >
20 > Depending on the level of community feedback you want, I could help
21 > test for a while, or you could just include it in an unstable ~ gcc
22 > version and see how the universe reacts to it :)
23
24 I'm all for these things. But to be honest time is limited and I've not
25 been having too much trouble simply using -I${ROOT}/usr/include. Every
26 so often a I'll need to add a non standard python include path. But it's
27 been easy enough to work around.
28
29 Anyway feel free to recode up a better patch to address the points you
30 and others have pointed out.
33 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
34 Gentoo Linux