From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] list of devices / boards, subprojects for each?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:07:17
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 21 July 2006 17:03, Christopher Friedt wrote:
3 >>Is there a published list of boards and their status for embedded gentoo?
4
5 > we dont support boards at the moment, just architectures
6 > getting a bsp up and running is left as an exercise for the end user ;)
7
8 >>Would anyone be interested in polishing up a gentoo embedded port onto
9 >>that platform with me?
10
11 > WRT54G ? that's mipsel right ? we've got mipsel/uclibc and mipsel/glibc
12 > running ...
13
14 >>Has anyone published a list of minimum or suggested specs for devices in
15 >>terms of ram / flash ?
16
17 > again, see previous comment ...
18
19 > as you can see, Gentoo/embedded is at the 'for developers' stage ... it could
20 > use a lot of work before being ready 'for users' and doing mini bsp releases
21 > for like the nslu2/wrt54g/what-have-you ... if you really feel like getting
22 > down and dirty, this is an area that is wide open at the moment ;)
23 > -mike
26 Well, I agree, all of this is a good idea and 'wide open'. I'm in
27 the process of customizing a firewall, with several DMZs to put
28 up embedded systems for outside developers to access and control
29 various mechanical and imaging systems.
30
31 I have an old TS-5500, based on AMD 133 MHz 586 PCMCIA, which
32 is available. Besides using an x86 for a baseline, as an intro
33 SBC to embedded gentoo, would ease the transition from
34 workstation/server gentoo to embedded gentoo. After folks get use
35 to embedded gentoo on an x86 platform, then they can diverge into
36 a second embedded platform (arm, mips, sh, blackfin, ppc).....
37 Softening the upward migration path to so that other can
38 migrate to embedded gentoo contributors is a good idea.
39
40 I'd be receptive to purchasing/hosting several systems in this
41 (embedded)DMZ for folks to play with, especially if there is a
42 'turnkey' packaging where all I have to do is re-flash a SD/CF
43 card, modify configs and boot up the system, in the event
44 something goes wrong.
45
46 There would also have to be an ACL (Access Control List) such
47 that I could regulate who gets access to these boards.
48 I could use some suggestions on iptables rules for this
49 (embedded) DMZ. I have spoken to several folks in the past that
50 have tried this, and maintaining security is always a challenge.
51 So a limited ACL in the beginning until the security mechanisms
52 mature, is a prudent step.
55 thoughts?
56
57 James