From: Christoph Spielmann <spielc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Openmoko - sets/package list
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:03:26
1 Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Christoph Spielmann<spielc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well welcome to gentoo on the freerunner!
7 > Thanks!
10 >> Well there's not just one package you need to merge to get the phone
11 >> working. There are actually a few more choices you have to make before you
12 >> can even think of getting gentoo on the phone.
13 >>
14 >> 1. Do you want to cross-compile or compile natively? Both have pro and cons,
15 >> i personally use the cross-compilation path but i know some ppl that are
16 >> compiling natively on the phone
19 > I tried to do this without cross compile, set up simple qemu and
20 > tried to make stage3.
21 > This took my about 5 days with my current computer... So I give it up.
22 > Cross compile is better choice but many packages have issues... I fix
23 > them one by
24 > one.
25 >
26 Well if you use the packages provided by us it should be fairly easy to
27 make things work. For example you should use the provided version of
28 python on your build-host (can be found in the sub-directory
29 openmoko-host of our overlay) and you'll get rid of alot of problems
30 with python packages.
31 >
32 >> 2. glibc or something smaller like uclibc or even dietlibc?
35 > What do you recommend? I thought of using glibc to avoid many future problems.
36 >
37 The "easiest" solution will probably be the usage of glibc.
38 >
39 >> 3. What de/wm do you want to use? lxde? e17? kde? Just like everything else
40 >> concerning gentoo you have a ton of choices and possibilities
43 > What do you recommend? I think kde is too large and complex...
44 > I am open to any suggestion.
45 >
46 Well there are distributions that use lxde, but most use e17.
47 Enlightenment is the thing that is known to work, because almost
48 everybody using Gentoo on the freerunner uses it.
49 >
50 >> 4. What gui do you want to use for phone-related tasks? shr-stuff? zone? Or
51 >> even something else? At the moment we're only supporting fso-framework for
52 >> the more low-level stuff and shr or zhone for the frontend. There are other
53 >> possibilities tho (hackable1 is something that comes to my mind almost
54 >> instantly, or qtopia).
57 > I start with whatever you support and go from there... So I guess shr is
58 > the right chice?
59 >
60 Well we support both. Some use zhone and some use shr. In this case the
61 decision should be based on personal preference. I for example use shr
62 >
63 >> 5. probably some more stuff but i think that these are the most important
64 >> things to think about
65 >>
66 >>> Can anyone send me a list of packages as an example?
67 >>>
68 >>>
69 >> I've attached a list of packages i've currently installed on the phone. Keep
70 >> in mind that you probably need some more/other stuff but it should get you
71 >> started!
74 > Thank you!!!
75 > It looks like the whole tree... Can you please send only the "world" part?
76 > Also, do you have special /etc settings people might be intrested?
77 >
78 I attached my world-file (i know the lists very short but it contains
79 everything i need at the moment ;) ). Well i think you should first get
80 this thing to boot before you start to do funny stuff. And when it boots
81 you can start to add/tweak stuff. But honestly: I don't think that i
82 have something fancy in my /etc. I copied some things over from a
83 shr-partition (e.g. config-file for fso or alsa-related stuff).
84 > This will be interesting week-end :)
85 >
86 > Alon.

world text/plain