From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] small replacement for emerge for live package-management?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:32:08
1 Something like iPkg is ideal because it was built specifically for this
2 purpose - but I really have no interest in switching do a Debian based
3 distro.
4
5 Christopher Friedt wrote:
6 > Hi everyone,
7 >
8 > Are there any pointers for a light(er) weight package manager for
9 > embedded devices with <= 16 MB of flash storage ?
10 >
11 > I've grown accustomed to using emerge to build binary packages for all
12 > of my boards. Up until now we've just blasted the binary packages onto
13 > our boards in the shop, but we're turning towards updates on live
14 > systems in the field.
15 >
16 > Paludis has struck my interest but I'm just not sure what the runtime
17 > requirements are, and how well it deals with normal gentoo binary tbz2's
18 > (and their metadata). I think that libstdc++.so is a bit too big for our
19 > boards, so any options with C++ dependencies are likely out the door.
20 >
21 > Having python on our boards is not really an option either, and
22 > therefore the factory 'emerge' also won't work (or will it??).
23 >
24 > Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure that some of you have dealt
25 > with the same problem before.
28 > Cheers,
29 >
30 > Chris