From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] avahi
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:56:54
1 Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
2 > Hey,
5 >> Has anyone used Avahi (http://avahi.org/) to auto discovery
6 >> or config an embedded gentoo system?
7 > I've installed it succesfully on an embedded gentoo system. I think there were
8 > some bumps on the road, but over all it worked pretty well (together with
9 > pulseaudio). It's been a while since I've toyed with it, so I don't remember
10 > details.
11
12 Nice to know it works. My interest is just testing it so when I plug
13 in an embedded board to a network, it runs some tests and figures out
14 how to auto configure the ip, dns resolver(mDNS) and possible default
15 routing to the internet (not sure how you glean this info from another
16 unix/windows machine, at this point).
17
18 I'm just learning about avahi and zeroconf (DNS-SD & mDNS) so my
19 interests are "noob", at this point.
20
21 I have not found any development examples how to use avahi (et al) on
22 an embedded system, with a particular focus on auto-configuration of
23 an embedded board on a new network...... Most things seem to focus on
24 the primary application (like serving/playing) audio files....
28 > I can't access my embedded or development system right now, so I can't see if
29 > I made any overlays for compilation. I did find the following commands in my
30 > notes:
31 >
32 > # Add some groups needed for dbus and avahi
33 > # Not sure why emerge doesn't do this...
34 > egrep "^(messagebus|avahi|netdev|pulse)" /etc/group >> /targetfull/etc/group
35 > egrep "^(messagebus|avahi|pulse|mpd)" /etc/passwd >> /targetfull/etc/passwd
36 >
37 > (Exececuted from the dev system where /targetfull is the embedded systems)
38 >
39 > Also, I attached my portage overlay in a previous email [1], you might find
40 > something useful in there (If there is nothing in there, I probably got it to
41 > compile without any trouble).
42 >
43 > I'll look in my system as soon as I'm around it again, but do let us know how
44 > your progress is!
45
46 Thanks for you suggestions. At some point I'll follow up.
47 >
48 > Gr.
49 >
50 > Matthijs