From: Natanael Copa <mlists@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:35:34
Lutz Schönemann wrote:
> Hi, > I'm trying to get Linux running on a x86 embedded-system (Panel PC > "Atlas"). The os should be loaded from a CF-Card (CF-Card reader is > onboard and bootable). My current problem with it is that I don't know > how to get a bootloader installed on a CF-Card. > I have a Gentoo-Box (Toshiba Laptop) compiled for i386. The CF-Card is > connected via USB. When ever I install a bootloader on the CF-Card a > Dell laptop is able to boot from it but the embedded system doesn't do > it. It seems to be the problem that the two BIOS differ to much from > each other. > How can I install a bootloader that works on other hardware (with > different BIOS)?
I use syslinux.
> Someone told me to build a very small kernel and put that into the > master boot record (must be smaller than 446 bytes). How can I do this? > I have deactivated nearly all features, compiled everything as module > that could be build as module but the kernel size is 627k !?!
No. You dont need to install the kernel on the MBR. the MBR is the data that lies before the first partition. Normally (in dos times) the mra contained code that found the first partition that is marked bootable and the boot that partition (something like that). You need to: 1. mark the boot partition as bootable. (fdisk /dev/sdX -> 'a') 2. install lilo/syslinux on the the boot partition (syslinux /dev/sdX1) 3. install the mbr, in case you have overwritten it with grub or seomthing like that. (dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdX) The example is how I would do it here, using syslinux. It will be different with lilo. replace sdX with your device.