From: "Sergi Castaño Elias" <pklst.embed.lin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:28:33
Hi,

2006/3/29, Lutz Schönemann <lutz.schoenemann@××××××××××××××.de>:
> Okay, now Lilo loads the first stage and returns the error-code 99. The > man-page contains a paragraph containing the error codes: > 99 invalid second stage index sector > and a detailed description: > "... Errors 99 and 9A usually mean the map file (-m or map=) is not > readable, likely because LILO was not re-run after some system change, > or there is a geometry mis-match between what LILO used (lilo -v3 to > display) and what is actually being used by the BIOS (one of the lilo > diagnostic disks, available in the source distribution, may be needed to > diagnose this problem). ..." > > But how can I get the right device-map needed for my embedded system? I > tried to create a CF card with the diagnostic disks data (writing on CF > instead of wirting to /dev/sd0) but the system doesn't even boot with > this CF-Card. > > Lutz > > Ned Ludd wrote: > > I always used lilo for this task. I found grub to be way to problematic > > and BIG. On x86 I'd chroot into the CF and run lilo. It can be tricky > > and a tad confusing at times till you make that mental map of where the > > devices live. Note be careful or you could end up killing the wrong > > boot sector or device. > > > > My CF was my /dev/sdb but CF is IDE so I needed a conf like this. > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/local/local/customize/etc/lilo.conf > > > > The kernel got installed to sdb1->hda1 and sdb2->hda2 was used as the > > ROOT file system. > > > > I also used these two scripts to speed up the task. > > > > (Format the CF) > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/fdisk_cf_flash > > > > (Copy the FS to flash and run the bootloader) > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/flash_cf_disk > > > > .. good luck. > > > > > > > > On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 11:37 +0200, Lutz Schönemann wrote: > > > >>Hi, > >>I'm trying to get Linux running on a x86 embedded-system (Panel PC > >>"Atlas"). The os should be loaded from a CF-Card (CF-Card reader is > >>onboard and bootable). My current problem with it is that I don't know > >>how to get a bootloader installed on a CF-Card. > >>I have a Gentoo-Box (Toshiba Laptop) compiled for i386. The CF-Card is > >>connected via USB. When ever I install a bootloader on the CF-Card a > >>Dell laptop is able to boot from it but the embedded system doesn't do > >>it. It seems to be the problem that the two BIOS differ to much from > >>each other. > >>How can I install a bootloader that works on other hardware (with > >>different BIOS)? > >> > >>Someone told me to build a very small kernel and put that into the > >>master boot record (must be smaller than 446 bytes). How can I do this? > >>I have deactivated nearly all features, compiled everything as module > >>that could be build as module but the kernel size is 627k !?! > >> > >>For more information on the hardware: > >>http://www.kws-computer.de/ppcatlas.html > >> > >>there is a link to the data sheet (Datenblatt) > >> > >>Thanks for help > >> > >>-- > >>Lutz Schönemann > >> > >>Addr: Fraunhofer Institut für Sichere Informations Technologie SIT > >> Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany > >>WWW: http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de > >> > >>Zertifizierungen in der FhG: http://pki.fraunhofer.de > > > -- > Lutz Schönemann > > Addr: Fraunhofer Institut für Sichere Informations Technologie SIT > Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany > WWW: http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de > > Zertifizierungen in der FhG: http://pki.fraunhofer.de > -- > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list > >
I would install or run lilo (or any other bootloader) from the embedded system directly. I mean, connect only one ide cd reader put CF in the ide reader at embedded mainboard. No other device to damage its boot. Then boot from an any live distro or a gentoo install boot cd itself and chroot to embedded system. Then, re-run lilo or install grub or any other boot manager. Sorry my bad english. -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list