From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ebuild deps and cross-compiling
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:03:11
1 On 23/04/2010 12:20, Sergey Mironov wrote:
2 > My system doesn't have udev. It has mdev from busybox. Openct docs
3 > says that mdev is ok, so should i register an ebuild-bug and suggest
4 > something like 'udev useflag'? There are util-linux dependencies,
5 > which are also incompatible with busybox. I am in doubt.
9 The "gentoo" way as near as I can see is via virtual packages, eg if
10 there are three cron options then you install virtual/cron and various
11 packages then provide that dependency.
12
13 With udev it's a little harder to fit it into that mould (actually same
14 with all busybox utils) because basically bb can provide different
15 things depending on config...
16
17 I think it's a hard problem to solve and a small number of affected
18 users. Probably as a workaround you should simply set package.provided
19 to claim you have installed udev and then all the dependencies are
20 effectively assumed to be solved. Of course this will break down on
21 some package that really does need proper udev, but it's probably
22 acceptable?
23
24 A use flag is probably inappropriate because that's usually used to
25 indicate whether you want that functionality compiled or removed from a
26 given package
27
28 I guess there must be some -arm overlay that you can base from and
29 contribute to? Anyone?
30
31 Good luck
32