From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc use flag in busybox
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:15:43
1 On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 02 July 2004 07:54 am, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
4 > > the busybox ebuild uses uclibc flag meaning/expecting that it will be
5 > > cross-compiled.
6 >
7 > the uclibc USE flag was introduced as a measure to work around a portage
8 > system that couldnt support what we wanted/needed (cross compiling some core
9 > packages with uclibc)
10 >
11 > > All the other locations where use uclibc was introduced, gcc/binutils and
12 > > so on mean, that it is building for uclibc, but does not mean (yet maybe)
13 > > cross-compiling
14 > > I would rather propose to change the behaviour in busybox to cross-compile
15 > > only if /lib/libc.so.6 is found and uclibc is found in
16 > > /usr/arch-linux-uclibc
17 > > This function could be generalized so that it could be used in more
18 > > ebuilds, the uclibc ebuild itself would benefit of it.
19 >
20 > i would propose the following:
21 > (1) remove the uclibc USE flag ... it doesnt work anymore with the newer
22 > uclibc's anyways (wrapper toolchain was removed)
23 > (2) introduce a variable to the profile, say PROFILE_LIBC, and in the uclibc
24 > profile set it to 'uclibc' ... then in ebuilds, key off of that variable
25 > -mike
28 Well we have more cases, so it won't be as simple as that:
29
30 we could have:
31 1. native: host arch-glibc to target arch-glibc
32 2. cross to alternative arch: host arch-glibc to target altarch-glibc
33 2. cross to uclibc: host arch-gclibc to target arch-uclibc
34 3. cross to alt arch and uclibc: host arch-glibc to target altarch-uclibc
35
36 the same could be repeated based on host arch-uclibc (or any other lib,
37 like newlib,dietlibc)
38
39 Peter
42 Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
43 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
47 Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
48 Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu
51 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list