From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GNAP status
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:53:22
1 Natanael Copa wrote:
2
3 >> Alpine does look interesting, but, it looks more like a Debian derivative:
4 >
5 > Can you please define "looks more like a Debian derivative"? I know for
6 > sure its based on gentoo.
7 >
8 >> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Installing_Alpine#Managing_software_packages
9 >
10 > apk-tools was inspired by the freebsd's binary package manager.
13 It was not a scientific evaluation. I saw packages and managing
14 packages, so since it was Linux based, I assumed Debian....
17 I took every bit of 5 minutes to look at Alpine, so, if my impressions
18 were wrong, it was probably because I expected to quickly find a
19 technical document that explains much of these sort of issues.
20
21 In the brief time I looked around at Alpine, I did not find technical
22 documents that explained the architecture of the (embedded) OS.
23 Also how does one creates binaries for the distro?
24
25 Do you have a url for such reading on Alpine?
26
27 > And yes, Alpine is not designed for compile stuff on your target, even
28 > if the pacakges are build from gentoo portage tree.
29
30 This is ok for me, particularly if the choices are many, and the
31 end result is stable. I'm keen on firewalls, dns servers and terminal
32 servers as a end result of the embedded OS. Robust operation on
33 CF based hard drives is a big plus (jffs2 or logFS).
36 James
37 --
38 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list