From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] netplug for embedded
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:29:19
1 On Thursday 28 February 2008, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
2 > Peter Stuge wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:58:13PM +0000, Ed W wrote:
4 > >> I get stuff when I plug and unplug stuff, but nothing when I put
5 > >> the network cable in/out.
6 > >> However, something appears in dmesg
7 > >
8 > > dmesg shows printk() text from drivers. The driver is saying that it
9 > > got a notice from hardware that link status changed.
10 > >
11 > > This is never signalled to userspace using hotplug. I don't believe
12 > > it is signalled to userspace at all. You would have to poll the
13 > > interface.
14 >
15 > OK, makes sense.
16
17 right, network link status is not a hotplug event
18
19 > What's the best software to use to achieve the required effect? Is
20 > netplug the right solution? I get the feeling that some stuff might
21 > already be integrated into baselayout, but not really sure how all the
22 > gentoo networking stuff works? Any pointers?
23
24 look at the sys-apps/netplug package
25 -mike