From: Peter Bell <pbell@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] looking for a embedded platform with extended temperature range
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:03:51
1 -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Ed W [mailto:lists@××××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:51 PM
4 > To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] looking for a embedded platform with >
6 extended temperature range
7 >
8 > On 28/04/2010 21:45, Marcus Priesch wrote:
9 > > for the latter, gumstix look promising but i am a little unsure how they
10 > > perform ... and they only sell directly from the us. ...
13 > Have you looked through all the routerboard range?
14 >
15 > The "Linux Devices" website is great for checking out what industrial
16 > boards are out there. Probably your needs are satisfied by some
17 > industrial solution?
18 >
19 > Note I would have thought min temp is not a problem. I would think that
20 > the main issues with cold are simply icing, frost, fans freezing and
21 > other mechanical things like HDs?
22 >
23 > Patrick who makes the Alix boards is very approachable - you could ask
24 > him what modifications are necessary to meet those targets? You would
25 > at least get an explanation of the practical issues?
26 >
27 > Also consider the cost of simply running the units out of operating spec
28 > and estimating failure costs over X years... Might be cheaper to buy
29 > twice as many and just let them fail?
30 >
31 > Good luck
32
33 I can say from personal experience that HDDs do not like subzero
34 temperatures - in many cases they will simply refuse to start up if the
35 ambient temperature is too high or too low. Even the ones that will try to
36 start up sometimes fail because of sticktion - or, in one case, actually do
37 start to run, but then rip the heads off! There are also potential issues
38 with condensation if the humidity is high.
39
40 You can generally get away with it if the drive is constantly powered up and
41 you only start up when it's warmer, but even of the drive shuts down due to
42 power management it can be problematic to restart. You can use a heater to
43 keep the temperature up, but obviously this has a detrimental effect on the
44 power consumption.
45
46 Regards
47