From: Raffaele Recalcati <lamiaposta71@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Android phones
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:17:33
1 remind that the kernel has inside android patches, not, even if your
2 gentoo is chrooted, it could have some pb anyway
3
4 2009/11/5 wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
5 > Christopher Friedt wrote:
6 >> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> Can the gentoo embedded, openmoko, or any other
8 >>> embedded linux stack run on the (verizon) Android
9 >>> (verizon droid) phone?
10 >>
11 >> yes.
12 >>
13 >> my suggestions would be to
14 >>
15 >> 1) cross-compile busybox statically for armv5tel
16 >> 2) push the busybox binary (and symlinks) to the device using adb
17 >> 3) download a gentoo stage3 filesystem for armv5tel
18 >> 4) extract the filesystem to a suitable memory card
19 >> 5) log in to the device using 'adb shell'
20 >> 6) execute '/bin/ash' (the busybox shell)
21 >> 7) mount proc sys dev -o bind to your memory card, where the gentoo
22 >> root is installed
23 >> 8) chroot to the gentoo root filesystem
24 >>
25 >> If you do that, you'll have android and gentoo 'running' on the device
26 >> at the same time. I'm not sure how easy it is to do all of that on a
27 >> Motorola Droid, and you might need to make some software modifications
28 >> to start the adb (android debug bridge) service on the device.
29 >>
30 >> You can of course do the same with an OpenMoko filesystem image
31 >> instead of a Gentoo filesystem image. Unfortunately, you won't be able
32 >> to use the framebuffer while Android is using it (AFAIK).
35 > Nice to know.
36 >
37 >>> Isn't the Android(2.0) phone just somebody's Linux
38 >>> stack? If so, is it an open/hackable embedded
39 >>> linux stack for an Arm?
40 >>
41 >> I would suggest that you ask Motorola to release the source code for
42 >> their Droid Linux kernel. Aside from that, all of the available source
43 >> and documentation for Android is at http://source.android.com . Note
44 >> that most of the 'good' Android apps are not open source - they (e.g.
45 >> Google, Motorola, HTC) can get away with that because the userland is
46 >> made available under an Apache-2.0 license.
47 >
48 > I do not think I'll be leading the charge here.
49 > Just looking for folks that I can follow on
50 > putting eGentoo on a cell phone, with wifi and
51 > compatible with Verizon.
52 >
53 >> If you really want to experiment, then try to modify the Droid boot
54 >> loader so it will boot into your Gentoo root on /dev/mmcblk0p1 or
55 >> something instead of /dev/mdtblockX (where Android resides). You'll
56 >> probably want to check out mtd-utils to do that. Warning: You'll most
57 >> likely void your warranty by doing so, and you might end up with a
58 >> bricked device.
59 >
60 > I do not think the DROID phone is what I want,
61 > after looking more closely... However, I am wedded
62 > to Verizon, for a variety of reasons, so the cell
63 > phone I choose should run Gentoo and work with
64 > Verizon and WiFi.
65 >
66 >> IMHO - the best (current) device you can use for a hackable handheld
67 >> is the Nokia N900 - I wish I had one myself.
68 >
69 > I do not see much about this phone on Verizon's
70 > wireless plans..... I could consider T-mobile?
71 > I'm not sure about how good the T-mobile coverage
72 > is in Florida?
75 > James