From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Android phones
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:21:14
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Can the gentoo embedded, openmoko, or any other
4 >> embedded linux stack run on the (verizon) Android
5 >> (verizon droid) phone?
6 >
7 > yes.
8 >
9 > my suggestions would be to
10 >
11 > 1) cross-compile busybox statically for armv5tel
12 > 2) push the busybox binary (and symlinks) to the device using adb
13 > 3) download a gentoo stage3 filesystem for armv5tel
14 > 4) extract the filesystem to a suitable memory card
15 > 5) log in to the device using 'adb shell'
16 > 6) execute '/bin/ash' (the busybox shell)
17 > 7) mount proc sys dev -o bind to your memory card, where the gentoo
18 > root is installed
19 > 8) chroot to the gentoo root filesystem
20 >
21 > If you do that, you'll have android and gentoo 'running' on the device
22 > at the same time. I'm not sure how easy it is to do all of that on a
23 > Motorola Droid, and you might need to make some software modifications
24 > to start the adb (android debug bridge) service on the device.
25 >
26 > You can of course do the same with an OpenMoko filesystem image
27 > instead of a Gentoo filesystem image. Unfortunately, you won't be able
28 > to use the framebuffer while Android is using it (AFAIK).
31 Nice to know.
32
33 >> Isn't the Android(2.0) phone just somebody's Linux
34 >> stack? If so, is it an open/hackable embedded
35 >> linux stack for an Arm?
36 >
37 > I would suggest that you ask Motorola to release the source code for
38 > their Droid Linux kernel. Aside from that, all of the available source
39 > and documentation for Android is at http://source.android.com . Note
40 > that most of the 'good' Android apps are not open source - they (e.g.
41 > Google, Motorola, HTC) can get away with that because the userland is
42 > made available under an Apache-2.0 license.
43
44 I do not think I'll be leading the charge here.
45 Just looking for folks that I can follow on
46 putting eGentoo on a cell phone, with wifi and
47 compatible with Verizon.
48
49 > If you really want to experiment, then try to modify the Droid boot
50 > loader so it will boot into your Gentoo root on /dev/mmcblk0p1 or
51 > something instead of /dev/mdtblockX (where Android resides). You'll
52 > probably want to check out mtd-utils to do that. Warning: You'll most
53 > likely void your warranty by doing so, and you might end up with a
54 > bricked device.
55
56 I do not think the DROID phone is what I want,
57 after looking more closely... However, I am wedded
58 to Verizon, for a variety of reasons, so the cell
59 phone I choose should run Gentoo and work with
60 Verizon and WiFi.
61
62 > IMHO - the best (current) device you can use for a hackable handheld
63 > is the Nokia N900 - I wish I had one myself.
64
65 I do not see much about this phone on Verizon's
66 wireless plans..... I could consider T-mobile?
67 I'm not sure about how good the T-mobile coverage
68 is in Florida?
71 James