From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:10:03
1 On 09/01/2012 07:46 AM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a bit more brain resources to continue the integration of Dracut
5 > with Genkernel, at last. Dracut was meant to replace internal Genkernel
6 > initramfs generator, but recently Genkernel is being developed quite
7 > actively, therefore I think it would be a waste to just replace it.
8 > Both can coexist. Although there are a lot of differences between
9 > Genkernel and Dracut, therefore there's no much sense to continue the
10 > integration the way I have started. I have tried to replace initramfs
11 > generator transparently, translating command line options and
12 > configuration to Dracut options, to be fully compatible. Quickly it has
13 > become a burden, because Genkernel code has to be updated according to
14 > changes in Dracut. Just imagine you would have to update Genkernel for
15 > every kernel release.
16 >
17 > I propose to extract the initramfs generator from Genkernel and make it
18 > a standalone project. The rest of the Genkernel could be rewritten to
19 > support both Gentoo's initramfs generator, Dracut and maybe some other
20 > in the future. Of course this would be my job to do so and I'm only
21 > asking for acceptance from you.
22 >
23 > Another problem arisen is the name and versioning. Solutions:
24 >
25 > 1) The framework integrating old Genkernel and Dracut could be just
26 > bumped to:
27 >
28 > a) 4 - because there's no official 4.x release,
29 > b) 5 - because there's an unofficial and dead 4.x:
30 > https://github.com/eedgar/genkernel4
31
32 I would prefer calling it genkernel 5 to avoid confusing people.
33
34 > 2) The framework could be named genboot, because it actually takes care
35 > of kernel, initramfs and boot manager entries. Although we're losing
36 > old good name.
37 >
38 > I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel initramfs
39 > generator would need to be named differently for either case, for
40 > example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or geninitfs.
44 We could just refactor genkernel by doing the following:
45
46 1) Copying /usr/bin/genkernel to /usr/bin/geninitramfs.
47 2) Rewriting /usr/bin/geninitramfs to only be capable of generating an
48 initramfs image like dracut.
49 3) Rewriting /usr/bin/genkernel to provide the user with the option to
50 invoke geninitramfs, invoke dracut or use a user generated initramfs image.
51
52 We would also need to update man pages and provide a geninitramfs man
53 page, but this should be workable.