From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:02:27
1 On 09/09/2012 07:10 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > We could just refactor genkernel by doing the following:
3 >
4 > 1) Copying /usr/bin/genkernel to /usr/bin/geninitramfs.
5
6 At that place I would add a step:
7
8 1.1: Make a new pass-through wrapper /usr/bin/genkernel that forwards
9 all valid optiuons to geninitramfs. Over time we can "move" features
10 from Bash-based geninitramfs to the Python-based genkernel. That way
11 we save ourselves a big bang problem, several branches. I'm
12 experiemnting with that right now. With luck I have something in a
13 few hours.
14
15 > 2) Rewriting /usr/bin/geninitramfs to only be capable of generating
16 > an initramfs image like dracut. 3) Rewriting /usr/bin/genkernel to
17 > provide the user with the option to invoke geninitramfs, invoke
18 > dracut or use a user generated initramfs image.
19
20 Best,
24 Sebastian