From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 19:37:30
1 Hello Amadeusz,
4 On 09/01/2012 01:46 PM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
5 > I propose to extract the initramfs generator from Genkernel and
6 > make it a standalone project.
7
8 Any ideas how that could be done best on a technical level?
11 > The rest of the Genkernel could be rewritten to support both
12 > Gentoo's initramfs generator, Dracut and maybe some other in the
13 > future. Of course this would be my job to do so and I'm only
14 > asking for acceptance from you.
15 >
16 > Another problem arisen is the name and versioning. Solutions:
17 >
18 > 1) The framework integrating old Genkernel and Dracut could be
19 > just bumped to:
20 >
21 > a) 4 - because there's no official 4.x release, b) 5 - because
22 > there's an unofficial and dead 4.x:
23 > https://github.com/eedgar/genkernel4
24
25 Either would be fine by me.
28 > 2) The framework could be named genboot, because it actually takes
29 > care of kernel, initramfs and boot manager entries. Although we're
30 > losing old good name.
31 >
32 > I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel
33 > initramfs generator would need to be named differently for either
34 > case, for example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or
35 > geninitfs.
36
37 Out of those "geninitramfs" seems best to me. The "gen" prefix can be
38 read as "generate" rather than "Gentoo" but "genkernel" has always had
39 that problem, too.
40
41 Best,
45 Sebastian