From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o, gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:29:28
1 Quoting Sebastian Pipping (2012-09-02 21:37:11)
2 > On 09/01/2012 01:46 PM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
3 > > I propose to extract the initramfs generator from Genkernel and make
4 > > it a standalone project.
5 >
6 > Any ideas how that could be done best on a technical level?
7
8 This is an announcement post. I'll share all of my ideas before I start
9 implementation part.
12 > > 1) The framework integrating old Genkernel and Dracut could be just
13 > > bumped to:
14 > >
15 > > a) 4 - because there's no official 4.x release,
16 > > b) 5 - because there's an unofficial and dead 4.x:
17 > > https://github.com/eedgar/genkernel4
18 >
19 > Either would be fine by me.
20
21 Does anybody prefer particular option?
24 > > I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel
25 > > initramfs generator would need to be named differently for either
26 > > case, for example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or
27 > > geninitfs.
28 >
29 > Out of those "geninitramfs" seems best to me. The "gen" prefix can be
30 > read as "generate" rather than "Gentoo" but "genkernel" has always had
31 > that problem, too.
32
33 +1
37 I am still waiting for opinions of all involved in Genkernel.
41 Amadeusz Żołnowski