From: Radoslaw Madej <radegand@××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Assessing the Tux Strength: Part 2 - Into the Kernel
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:02:27
1 On Friday 17 September 2010 00:35:20 you wrote:
2 > I've been running my servers for years on hardened Gentoo, but I always
3 > figured it would be too problematic for my deskside and laptop machines.
4 >
5 > Is this true? Have things gotten better, and is it perfectly reasonable
6 > to run hardened Gentoo for general purpose use?
7 >
8 > Two problem factors... My family likes YouTube and the like, and for my
9 > job I have to run proprietary binary-only software. (Silicon CAD tools)
10 >
11 > Thanks,
12 > Dale Pontius
13
14 Hi,
15
16 IMHO, short answer: if you don't need to run binary video drivers and Flash,
17 hardened desktop will be just fine...
18
19 Longer answer: I'd say it's a matter of risk management :) ..and available
20 resources (time mainly).
21
22 Flash is an issue (security-wise but also getting it to work with hardened
23 :D), but then again - you could always use different browser with flash and
24 without hardened stuff (for example Opera will run it fine on grsec kernel
25 with mprotect disabled and you can't harden it anyway) and lock it down using
26 RBAC? Or simply use VM for that? Again, depends how far you want/have to go to
27 mitigate the risk...
28
29 Back to your original question - personally I believe in hardened desktop ;]
30 I'm running three of these (one laptop) and more or less everything works
31 (running KDE4) but yes, you need to compromise few things
32 sometimes...Flash/Gnash is a nightmare...getting X11 to works sometimes too,
33 all depending on your card, nvidia binary stopped working ages ago (not sure
34 if it works now), nouveau breaks every now and then regardless of hardened ;)
35 so you're left out with fairly stable nv drivers but no 3D accel...from my
36 experience ATI seems to be more hardened friendly (OS driver, binary probably
37 not). I'm soon to try the Intel chipset - hopefully it will be better! (or
38 fixable at least ;)).
39
40 Not sure if this helps, but there you go - my two cents ;)
41
42 BTW - maybe it would be worth documenting somewhere issues with hardened-
43 gentoo desktops? I'll have plenty to share! ;)
44
45 Regards,
46 Radek