From: Dale Pontius <DEPontius@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Assessing the Tux Strength: Part 2 - Into the Kernel
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:36:13
1 On 09/02/10 18:43, Radoslaw Madej wrote:
2 > Hi Guys,
3 >
4 > For anyone interested, I'd like to announce that the second part of my
5 > comparison between different Linux distros and their security features (which
6 > includes Gentoo Hardened of course! ;) ) can be found here:
7 > http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/assessing_the_tux_strength_part_2_into_the_kernel/
8 >
9 > As always - all feedback is appreciated. Also please note that the previous
10 > feedback is not to be forgotten and I shall address these ((-fstack-protector
11 > vs. -fstack-protector-all, cookie strength and prelink) in my fourth post :)
12 >
13 > Also - congrats to Zorry for becoming the new Gentoo Hardened lead and thanks
14 > for all your support! :)
15 >
16 I read this today, too. Quite interesting, but it leaves me asking a
17 simple question...
18
19 I've been running my servers for years on hardened Gentoo, but I always
20 figured it would be too problematic for my deskside and laptop machines.
21
22 Is this true? Have things gotten better, and is it perfectly reasonable
23 to run hardened Gentoo for general purpose use?
24
25 Two problem factors... My family likes YouTube and the like, and for my
26 job I have to run proprietary binary-only software. (Silicon CAD tools)
27
28 Thanks,
29 Dale Pontius