From: "Kārlis Repsons" <karlis.repsons@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:02:42
1 On 20 June 2011 14:20, Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 15/06/2011 11:55, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I've got a machine, which hasn't been upgraded for some 2 years or less. It
6 >> has GCC-4.3.4 and now I tried to upgrade to 4.5.2, but something failed. So
7 >> I'm here to ask for the right sequence of upgrades and other actions before
8 >> it's too late...
9 >>
10 >> These actions done already:
11 >> 1. updated binutils,
12 >> 2. updated glibc,
13 >> 3. unmerged and re-emerged libtool (had a blocker),
14 >> 4. tried with the new GCC, but failed with some unclear problems,
15 >> 5. switched to vanilla GCC and now compile glibc...
16 >>
17 >> So have I done something bad or what should I do to be sure that the upgrade
18 >> goes as smooth as possible? Thanks...
19 >
20 > You didn't give any info on the problems you had using gcc 4.5 so very
21 > hard to comment.  However, roughly the upgrade of any gcc is as per the
22 > docs (upgrade, switch to it, upgrade libtool, emerge -ev system)
23 >
24 > Likely problems you had were dependencies upgrading from a very old
25 > system?  Remember there is no harm in masking your gcc, upgrading, then
26 > upgrading gcc is this solves some dependency? (Slower)
27 >
28 > Remember to backup the machine...
29
30 Thanks, the problem was rather silly: I ran out of RAM in a diskless machine...
31
32 By the way, if I wish to update and totally rebuild my system, what
33 steps do I have to take? I've seen many guides telling about the
34 toolchain and emerge -e system, then world, but I lack consistency and
35 understanding about how exactly and why. Anyone to suggest me some
36 valuable link about that?