From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:02:42
1 On 06/29/2011 04:39 AM, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
2 > On 20 June 2011 14:20, Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 15/06/2011 11:55, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> I've got a machine, which hasn't been upgraded for some 2 years or less. It
7 >>> has GCC-4.3.4 and now I tried to upgrade to 4.5.2, but something failed. So
8 >>> I'm here to ask for the right sequence of upgrades and other actions before
9 >>> it's too late...
10 >>>
11 >>> These actions done already:
12 >>> 1. updated binutils,
13 >>> 2. updated glibc,
14 >>> 3. unmerged and re-emerged libtool (had a blocker),
15 >>> 4. tried with the new GCC, but failed with some unclear problems,
16 >>> 5. switched to vanilla GCC and now compile glibc...
17 >>>
18 >>> So have I done something bad or what should I do to be sure that the upgrade
19 >>> goes as smooth as possible? Thanks...
20 >>
21 >> You didn't give any info on the problems you had using gcc 4.5 so very
22 >> hard to comment. However, roughly the upgrade of any gcc is as per the
23 >> docs (upgrade, switch to it, upgrade libtool, emerge -ev system)
24 >>
25 >> Likely problems you had were dependencies upgrading from a very old
26 >> system? Remember there is no harm in masking your gcc, upgrading, then
27 >> upgrading gcc is this solves some dependency? (Slower)
28 >>
29 >> Remember to backup the machine...
30 >
31 > Thanks, the problem was rather silly: I ran out of RAM in a diskless machine...
32 >
33 > By the way, if I wish to update and totally rebuild my system, what
34 > steps do I have to take? I've seen many guides telling about the
35 > toolchain and emerge -e system, then world, but I lack consistency and
36 > understanding about how exactly and why. Anyone to suggest me some
37 > valuable link about that?
38
39 The safest approach in either switching or recompiling everything is:
40
41 1. Make the profile is set "eselect profile list" and pick your hardened
42 box. Careful on amd64 about changing multilib/nomultilib. Stick with
43 your mutilib-edness (if such a word exists :)
44
45 2. Rebuild the tool chain: emerge binutils glibc gcc
46
47 3. Rebuild system: emerge --keep-going -eq system
48 (note anything that fails you might want to file a bug)
49
50 4. Rebuild world: emerge --keep-going -eq world
51 (again not any failures, shouldn't happen else we're not doing our job)
52
53 system vs world = system is just the bare minimum packages that any box
54 running that profile needs. world = system + what you've added. You
55 can skip step 3, but there might be a chance of mixing
56 unhardened/hardened stuff if you do, but I'm not 100% sure.
60 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
61 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
62 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
63 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
64 GnuPG ID : D0455535