From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:03:11
1 On 02/15/2011 10:52 AM, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Quick Google and CVE searches shows there was many enough vulnerabilities
5 > in all OSes (including Linux) IPv6 stack implementations. And, as we all
6 > know, most of vulnerabilities will be found only after product become
7 > popular and wide used, which doesn't happens to IPv6 yet.
8 >
9 > Keeping this in mind, I think it have sense to avoid enabling IPv6 by
10 > default on hardened until IPv6 will be wide used/tested/hacked on
11 > non-hardened systems for some time or until it become critical feature
12 > required for normal operation on most servers.
13 >
14 > This logic is same as for separating ~x86 and x86 profiles - hardened
15 > profile shouldn't be used to test (for now) useless and potentially
16 > vulnerable features.
19 > P.S. BTW, enabling "ipv6" USE-flag isn't enough. Using dual-stack on
20 > secure server also mean doubling nearly all network configuration,
21 > including firewall setup. And while it's well-known how to securely setup
22 > network for IPv4, it still doesn't clear how to do same for IPv6 - both
23 > because IPv6 is much more complex and feature-rich, and because there not
24 > much information/howto available for IPv6 right now. So, I think it have
25 > sense to prepare some documentation about IPv6-related configuration on
26 > gentoo site and notify users with `eselect news` mechanism about it before
27 > enabling default "ipv6" USE-flag in any profile.
30 I tend to agree; it's not like ipv6 is disabled, it's just off by
31 default. My biggest concern however is for the people who run apache,
32 postfix, dovecot, etc. with the equivalent of,
33
34 listen = *
35
36 who will suddenly be listening on ipv6 addresses (and possibly not know
37 it) after a recompile. Are all these ipv6-listening services secure? Who
38 knows, because no one's using them.
39
40 The default unconfigured state is probably safe from the network, but I
41 wouldn't be able to say for sure unless I spent a couple of weeks
42 bringing myself up to speed on ipv6.