From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:54:41
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 06:10:52PM -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > >> I don't think there are any issues with it. The only argument I know of
5 > >> is that it increases the attack surface for a feature that 0% + epsilon
6 > >> of people use.
7 > > Tests done by a colleague show that, right now, the amount of inbound ipv6
8 > > traffic on his systems is none but I can perfectly understand your concerns
9 > > even if they should apply only to the network stack itself, as the daemons
10 > This is precisely the point. While on the one hand, it has little
11 > current use and does potentially increase attack vectors, on the other
12 > hand, ipv4 is depleted and ipv6 is on the horizon.
13
14 Quick Google and CVE searches shows there was many enough vulnerabilities
15 in all OSes (including Linux) IPv6 stack implementations. And, as we all
16 know, most of vulnerabilities will be found only after product become
17 popular and wide used, which doesn't happens to IPv6 yet.
18
19 Keeping this in mind, I think it have sense to avoid enabling IPv6 by
20 default on hardened until IPv6 will be wide used/tested/hacked on
21 non-hardened systems for some time or until it become critical feature
22 required for normal operation on most servers.
23
24 This logic is same as for separating ~x86 and x86 profiles - hardened
25 profile shouldn't be used to test (for now) useless and potentially
26 vulnerable features.
29 P.S. BTW, enabling "ipv6" USE-flag isn't enough. Using dual-stack on
30 secure server also mean doubling nearly all network configuration,
31 including firewall setup. And while it's well-known how to securely setup
32 network for IPv4, it still doesn't clear how to do same for IPv6 - both
33 because IPv6 is much more complex and feature-rich, and because there not
34 much information/howto available for IPv6 right now. So, I think it have
35 sense to prepare some documentation about IPv6-related configuration on
36 gentoo site and notify users with `eselect news` mechanism about it before
37 enabling default "ipv6" USE-flag in any profile.
40 WBR, Alex.