From: klondike <franxisco1988@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:49:53
1 El 15/02/11 16:52, Alex Efros escribió:
2 > Hi!Quick Google and CVE searches shows there was many enough vulnerabilities
3 > in all OSes (including Linux) IPv6 stack implementations. And, as we all
4 > know, most of vulnerabilities will be found only after product become
5 > popular and wide used, which doesn't happens to IPv6 yet.
6 /me looks:
7 "Summary: The ipv6_hop_jumbo function in net/ipv6/exthdrs.c in the Linux
8 kernel before 2.6.32.4, when network namespaces are enabled, allows
9 remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference)
10 via an invalid IPv6 jumbogram, a related issue to CVE-2007-4567."
11 Hardened kernels with UDEREF aren't vulnerable, also it was more than a
12 year ago.
13
14 "The selinux_parse_skb_ipv6 function in security/selinux/hooks.c in the
15 Linux kernel before 2.6.12-rc4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial
16 of service (OOPS) via vectors associated with an incorrect call to the
17 ipv6_skip_exthdr function."
18 "The ip6_dst_lookup_tail function in net/ipv6/ip6_output.c in the Linux
19 kernel before 2.6.27 does not properly handle certain circumstances
20 involving an IPv6 TUN network interface and a large number of neighbors,
21 which allows attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer
22 dereference and OOPS) or possibly have unspecified other impact via
23 unknown vectors."
24 "Use-after-free vulnerability in net/ipv4/tcp_input.c in the Linux
25 kernel 2.6 before 2.6.20, when IPV6_RECVPKTINFO is set on a listening
26 socket, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (kernel
27 panic) via a SYN packet while the socket is in a listening (TCP_LISTEN)
28 state, which is not properly handled and causes the skb structure to be
29 freed."
30 Old kernels
31 "The mipv6 daemon in UMIP 0.4 does not verify that netlink messages
32 originated in the kernel, which allows local users to spoof netlink
33 socket communication via a crafted unicast message."
34 Not even linux.
35
36 On apps:
37 "Summary: The DHCPv6 server in ISC DHCP 4.0.x and 4.1.x before 4.1.2-P1,
38 4.0-ESV and 4.1-ESV before 4.1-ESV-R1, and 4.2.x before 4.2.1b1 allows
39 remote attackers to cause a denial of service (assertion failure and
40 daemon crash) by sending a message over IPv6 for a declined and
41 abandoned address."
42 A DOS due to an assertion, bad but not SO bad. Anyway I doubt any
43 security focused person will use DHCP if avoidable.
44
45 "Summary: dns_internal.cc in Squid 3.1.6, when IPv6 DNS resolution is
46 not enabled, accesses an invalid socket during an IPv4 TCP DNS query,
47 which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (assertion
48 failure and daemon exit) via vectors that trigger an IPv4 DNS response
49 with the TC bit set." Bad yet not SO bad too, another DOS.
50
51 Seriously I don't see any serious sec problem for hardened users in
52 there which can't be solved by just not allowing ipv6 traffic/disabling
53 the ipv6 stack from the kernel.
54 Other than that I agree, the main difference I found is the lack of some
55 sort of NAT to hide addresses but other than that ipv6 is not that
56 different of ipv4 with a few extensions which are also there for ipv4.