From: Charles Romestant <cromestant@×××××.net>
To: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Some teething problems with 2004.1 and cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:53:27
1 Ed Wildgoose wrote:
4 >> It's come to my attention this afternoon that theres some portage
5 >> breakage with the stacked profiles. I plan on building the 2004.1
6 >> stages as soon as this is fixed up.
11 > Thanks. Can you explain what this means for me? I presume it means
12 > that there will be a new portage build out that handles the
13 > situation? If it's currently masked can you please let me know what I
14 > should be grabbing please (easier than currently having to manually
15 > tweak this stuff perhaps)
18 >>> It's really not clear what needs to be done to get a "hardened"
19 >>> system right now? For example, do we need any other flags adding to
20 >>> make.conf...?
21 >>>
24 >> Actually things are in a bit of flux. Hardened-gcc is deprecated, and
25 >> the replacement (gcc-3.3.3-r[23] with USE=hardened) is still in
26 >> testing. The term 'hardened' sometimes gets thrown around a little too
27 >> much. The hardened stages are more precisely pie-ssp stages. You can
28 >> have SELinux with pie-ssp; it just takes a little work. This is a
29 >> common request, so I'll probably be making selinux-pie-ssp stages
30 >> eventually to make this easier.
34 > OK, thanks this is helpful. I'm using gcc-3.3.2-r5, ie the latest
35 > portage stable. I understood that this was more than enough to
36 > support the hardened stuff? I don't see any -fPIE flags being added
37 > for me, and although I see -fstack-protector being added, this is
38 > presumably because I added it into my CFLAGS.
39 >
40 > Can you advise what the best thing is to do right now in order to at
41 > least partially harden the machine. Recompiling bits of stuff later
42 > is an option, but I can't really afford a full rebuild. In any case
43 > my alternative is a normal gentoo build, so I will take whatever
44 > hardening is easy to do right now (on the grounds it is better than
45 > nothing). The main entry route to the machine will likely remain the
46 > php apps running on the web-server, so this is actually where the bulk
47 > of my effort needs to go anyway - hardening is just some icing
48 > really. On the other hand I am not sure yet how selinux is going to
49 > help with securing Apache, still need to try and understand more about
50 > this - has anyone written a howto on chrooting apache2 on gentoo, this
51 > might well be the prefered way to secure it in my case...?
52 >
53 > Thanks
54 >
55 > Ed W
58 > --
59 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
62 sorry for this, new guy in this gentoo business, I just wanted to ask a
63 few questions,I joined the mailing list because it said it was about the
64 hardened sources, and that's what I installed, but I wanted to know what
65 the diference is exactly ( you guys are talking on another level!!)
66
67 if this is not the place to ask this ( as it obviouly isn't a simple q &
68 a mailing list), then just tell me to take a hike , although i'd still
69 like to receive the emails, as a information only..
70
71 thanks
72
73 Charles Romestant