From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Some teething problems with 2004.1 and cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:40:21
1 >It's come to my attention this afternoon that theres some portage
2 >breakage with the stacked profiles. I plan on building the 2004.1
3 >stages as soon as this is fixed up.
8 Thanks. Can you explain what this means for me? I presume it means
9 that there will be a new portage build out that handles the situation?
10 If it's currently masked can you please let me know what I should be
11 grabbing please (easier than currently having to manually tweak this
12 stuff perhaps)
15 >>It's really not clear what needs to be done to get a "hardened" system
16 >>right now? For example, do we need any other flags adding to
17 >>make.conf...?
21 >Actually things are in a bit of flux. Hardened-gcc is deprecated, and
22 >the replacement (gcc-3.3.3-r[23] with USE=hardened) is still in
23 >testing. The term 'hardened' sometimes gets thrown around a little too
24 >much. The hardened stages are more precisely pie-ssp stages. You can
25 >have SELinux with pie-ssp; it just takes a little work. This is a
26 >common request, so I'll probably be making selinux-pie-ssp stages
27 >eventually to make this easier.
31 OK, thanks this is helpful. I'm using gcc-3.3.2-r5, ie the latest
32 portage stable. I understood that this was more than enough to support
33 the hardened stuff? I don't see any -fPIE flags being added for me, and
34 although I see -fstack-protector being added, this is presumably because
35 I added it into my CFLAGS.
36
37 Can you advise what the best thing is to do right now in order to at
38 least partially harden the machine. Recompiling bits of stuff later is
39 an option, but I can't really afford a full rebuild. In any case my
40 alternative is a normal gentoo build, so I will take whatever hardening
41 is easy to do right now (on the grounds it is better than nothing). The
42 main entry route to the machine will likely remain the php apps running
43 on the web-server, so this is actually where the bulk of my effort needs
44 to go anyway - hardening is just some icing really. On the other hand I
45 am not sure yet how selinux is going to help with securing Apache, still
46 need to try and understand more about this - has anyone written a howto
47 on chrooting apache2 on gentoo, this might well be the prefered way to
48 secure it in my case...?
49
50 Thanks
51