From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Some teething problems with 2004.1 and cascaded profiles
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:09:06
1 On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 17:40, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
2 > >It's come to my attention this afternoon that theres some portage
3 > >breakage with the stacked profiles. I plan on building the 2004.1
4 > >stages as soon as this is fixed up.
5 >
6 > Thanks. Can you explain what this means for me? I presume it means
7 > that there will be a new portage build out that handles the situation?
8 > If it's currently masked can you please let me know what I should be
9 > grabbing please (easier than currently having to manually tweak this
10 > stuff perhaps)
11
12 Apparently you if you replace "os.path.dirname(mypath)" with "mypath" in
13 /usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py line 1206, it should work. The 51_pre*
14 portages are fixed, but they have other problems, and I wouldn't suggest
15 using them.
16
17 > >>It's really not clear what needs to be done to get a "hardened" system
18 > >>right now? For example, do we need any other flags adding to
19 > >>make.conf...?
20 > >>
21 > >>
22 > >
23 > >Actually things are in a bit of flux. Hardened-gcc is deprecated, and
24 [cut]
25 > OK, thanks this is helpful. I'm using gcc-3.3.2-r5, ie the latest
26
27 This version only has ssp (-fstack-protector).
28
29 > Can you advise what the best thing is to do right now in order to at
30 > least partially harden the machine. Recompiling bits of stuff later is
31
32 The minimum I'd suggest is to continue with ssp, and use a kernel with
33 PaX.
34
35 > an option, but I can't really afford a full rebuild. In any case my
36 > alternative is a normal gentoo build, so I will take whatever hardening
37 > is easy to do right now (on the grounds it is better than nothing). The
38 > main entry route to the machine will likely remain the php apps running
39 > on the web-server, so this is actually where the bulk of my effort needs
40 > to go anyway - hardening is just some icing really. On the other hand I
41 > am not sure yet how selinux is going to help with securing Apache,
42
43 SELinux is the last line of defense. It helps when someone has
44 subverted apache. The SELinux policy doesn't allow the apache domain do
45 anything beyond normal operations. For example, there wouldn't be any
46 defacement, because the apache domain can only read the web pages, not
47 write them, even if they gain root privileges.
50 Chris PeBenito
51 <pebenito@g.o>
52 Developer,
53 Hardened Gentoo Linux
54 Embedded Gentoo Linux
55
56 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
57 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243