From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy rules principles?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:02:46
1 On 01/16/2011 09:09 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > When writing security policies, it is important to first have a vision on
5 > how the security policies should be made. Of course, final vision should be
6 > with a systems' security administrator, but a distribution should give a
7 > first start for this.
8 >
9 > For the time being, Gentoo Hardened's policies are based upon the reference
10 > policy's implementation, but I can imagine that this will evolve further.
11 > The moment however we start adding policies ourselves (outside simple
12 > patching of the reference policy's implementation) we need to have some
13 > rules on what or how our rules should be made.
14 >
15 > One first principle that we might need to discuss about is what we want to
16 > allow in our policy. Do we want to allow all normal behavior (i.e. you use
17 > an application or server the way it is meant to and we make sure no denials
18 > are generated for this) but shield off abnormal behavior as much as possible
19 > (by rightly aligning domains and types)? Or do we want to allow just enough
20 > so that the applications function properly during regular operations,
21 > causing various denials to be in place still?
22 My general feeling is that the system should operate FROM THE USER
23 PERSPECTIVE the way it always does, i.e. the existence of SELinux should
24 be relatively transparent to the user and/or administrator, at least to
25 the extent that is practical. There may be some things that you simply
26 can't avoid changing, but they should generally be few and far between.
27 > And if we would opt for the latter, do we want to dontaudit those denials to
28 > keep the logging clean, or do we then expect the administrator to manage his
29 > own dontaudits?
30 >
31 My general feeling here is that, again where practical, we should avoid
32 cluttering the logs. Logs that are cluttered with noise don't get
33 properly evaluated for the truly exceptional conditions that the
34 administrator needs to be concerned about. Obviously, there are tools
35 that can help with this, but those tools should be used for the purpose
36 of helping the administrator organize the information, not prune the
37 logs of stuff to ignore. If there's stuff that is going to be routinely
38 ignored because it is essentially useless chatter, then it shouldn't be
39 there to start with.
40
41 Those are just my thoughts. Others who know more than I may have a
42 different opinion.
43
44 Later,
45 Chris