From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy rules principles?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:57:26
1 On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:06:47AM -0600, Chris Richards wrote:
2 > On 01/16/2011 09:09 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > When writing security policies, it is important to first have a vision on
4 > > how the security policies should be made. Of course, final vision should be
5 > > with a systems' security administrator, but a distribution should give a
6 > > first start for this.
7 [... What to allow ...]
8 > My general feeling is that the system should operate FROM THE USER
9 > PERSPECTIVE the way it always does, i.e. the existence of SELinux should
10 > be relatively transparent to the user and/or administrator, at least to
11 > the extent that is practical. There may be some things that you simply
12 > can't avoid changing, but they should generally be few and far between.
13 [... What to hide ...]
14 > My general feeling here is that, again where practical, we should avoid
15 > cluttering the logs. Logs that are cluttered with noise don't get
16 > properly evaluated for the truly exceptional conditions that the
17 > administrator needs to be concerned about. Obviously, there are tools
18 > that can help with this, but those tools should be used for the purpose
19 > of helping the administrator organize the information, not prune the
20 > logs of stuff to ignore. If there's stuff that is going to be routinely
21 > ignored because it is essentially useless chatter, then it shouldn't be
22 > there to start with.
23
24 Well, I've taken the liberty of writing down a sort-of policy document in
25 which we can include our development principles and methods. The idea is
26 that both existing and new developers then know how to "include" their
27 suggested changes and how to configure/design the added SELinux policy
28 rules.
29
30 The document: http://goo.gl/2U0Zr
31
32 I've included a few of the items we discussed already, but also added
33 two others ones (see the "No Role-Specific Domains" and "Only Reference
34 Policy Suggested Roles" rules).
35
36 It's a *discussion* document, I'm really open to (many) suggestions (and
37 enhancements ;-)
38
39 Wkr,
40 Sven Vermeulen