From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux documentation draft
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:03:05
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've been working on bringing the SELinux handbook as currently available on
4 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml more
5 up2date. It's somewhat of a rewrite, but with all elements of the original
6 SELinux handbook still inside it (apart from the troubleshooting as I guess
7 those are quite outdated, being from 2006 and older).
8
9 The draft is currently available in the hardened-docs.git repository. In
10 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/hardened-docs.git;a=tree;f=html/selinux;hb=HEAD
11 you should be able to select individual chapters (HTML format) in the "raw"
12 tree to view them somewhat like they would on the Gentoo site, but for your
13 convenience there's also a PDF available at
14 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/hardened-docs.git;a=tree;f=pdf;hb=HEAD
15
16 The new draft is structed in three parts:
17
18 Part A - Introduction to Gentoo/Hardened SELinux
19 Chapter 1. Enhancing Linux Security
20 Chapter 2. SELinux Concepts
21 Chapter 3. The SELinux (Reference) Policy
22 Part B - Using Gentoo/Hardened SELinux
23 Chapter 1. Gentoo SELinux Installation / Conversion
24 Chapter 2. SELinux Commands
25 Chapter 3. Running in Permissive Mode
26 Chapter 4. Switching to Enforcing Mode
27 Chapter 5. Adding SELinux Policy Modules
28 Part C - Appendices
29 Chapter 1. Troubleshooting SELinux
30 Chapter 2. SELinux Reference Material
31
32 If time permits, part A will have a fourth chapter on virtualization and
33 SELinux, but I gather that's more for the next update on the documentation.
34
35 The document is currently written with the ebuilds in hardened-development
36 overlay in mind, so everyone interested in giving Gentoo Hardened with
37 SELinux a try can use the draft documentation with the
38 "hardened-development" overlay.
39
40 For the time being the document only supports the type enforcement features
41 of SELinux. MLS/MCS has not been touched yet.
42
43 Feedback is always welcome, including language mistakes, typos or just plain
44 lies.
45
46 Wkr,
47 Sven Vermeulen