From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy for nginx, or include in apache?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 03:17:26
1 On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 20:40 -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 06/15/2011 01:45 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 >
4 > > So... ideas? Do we want to "keep it simple" and update the apache policy to
5 > > support nginx? Or do we want to stay "least privilege" and have dedicated
6 > > rules for applications?
9 > I'm only slowly coming around to policy development, but from my selinux
10 > days, I remember continuously tweaking towards least privilege. We
11 > could start with a clone of the apache policies and start tweaking
12 > those. Possibly submit upstream as long as we conform to their
13 > development guidelines.
14 >
15 > I have some concern that lumping apache and nginx together may cause
16 > tension between the needs of both packages. But seeing as I never used
17 > nginx, my concern may be unfounded.
18 >
19 > Also, we don't have policies exclusively for lighttpd. Do you know how
20 > that fits in?
23 I'm torn on this, but basically I think we ought to track upstream here.
24 This is my thinking:
25
26 As mentioned in the thread, nginx acts as a mail server, web server, and
27 reverse proxy. The fact that Apache has the capability to function as
28 an FTP server and forward and reverse proxy actually, to me, highlights
29 a weakness in the apache policy as it sits today; the fact that it
30 covers a lot of capabilities within the httpd_t domain. In other words,
31 the apache policy, IMO, ought to restrict the httpd_t domain to clearly
32 httpd-related actions. If there is a need for apache to perform
33 ftpd-related things, then there should be a policy that defines a
34 transition that allows apache to do that, but within the ftpd_t domain.
35
36 Following that chain of reasoning then, would result in a similar policy
37 set for nginx. The problem is, I'm not entirely certain the current
38 SELinux architecture allows sufficient isolation and modularization to
39 do that, nor am I certain that any of us possesses the domain-specific
40 knowledge necessary to develop such a policy.
41
42 Given the inherent (apparent) problems with doing it right, and the
43 general argument for least privilege, coupled with our lack of
44 resources, this is an enhancement that (IMO) should be tabled for the
45 time being.
46
47 Just my thoughts, and I am open to counter arguments.
48
49 Later,
50 Chris