From: Matthew Thode <mthode@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:15:57
1 I can also verify that I used ipv6 to get the cert with he.net (with them as
2 the tunnel broker) for whatever that's worth.
3
4 -- Matthew Thode
5
6 On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:17, Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7
8 > On 15/02/11 12:53, Ed W wrote:
9 > >
10 > >>> Tests done by a colleague show that, right now, the amount of inbound
11 > >>> ipv6
12 > >>> traffic on his systems is none but I can perfectly understand your
13 > >>> concerns
14 > >>> even if they should apply only to the network stack itself, as the
15 > >>> daemons
16 > >>> listening to v6 should be the same that listen to v4, once configured
17 > >>> for dual
18 > >>> stack.
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Anyway, ipv6 has a chance to become relevant by the end of the year
21 > >>> as China
22 > >>> and India (among others) won't have quite enough v4 addresses in
23 > >>> stock to
24 > >>> support the growth of their networks.
25 > >> This is precisely the point. While on the one hand, it has little
26 > >> current use and does potentially increase attack vectors, on the other
27 > >> hand, ipv4 is depleted and ipv6 is on the horizon.
28 > >>
29 > >> I looked at gentoo bugs for ipv6 and didn't find anything serious. I'm
30 > >> still leaning towards unmasking it.
31 > >>
32 > >
33 > > It's the whole catch 22 that there isn't any traffic because it's not
34 > > deployed and not deployed because there is no one to talk to...
35 > >
36 > > I think we all have to transition to ipv6 quite quickly so the only
37 > > sensible option is to bite the bullet and enable it. I have it enabled
38 > > on all my hardened servers...
39 > >
40 > > I would have thought the sensible rollout strategy for organisations is
41 > > to start gently with internal only deployments to get experience and
42 > > gradually incorporate the rest of the internet as it becomes more
43 > > common. Hopefully in this way most problems will be limited to internal
44 > > only at first...
47 > I am running 2 boxen with hardened gentoo with ipv6 enabled (one native,
48 > one through a tunnel broker). I've seen no issues with ipv6 during
49 > deployment or while running services.
50 >
51 > A third box is ipv4 only, but was expected to get ipv6 connectivity
52 > quite soon after deploymenty. I disabled ipv6 USE flag and recompiled
53 > all affected packages some time after delpoyment. The only reason to do
54 > this was that logs were 'flooded' because applications tried to load the
55 > net-pf-10 kernel module. There probably is a more elegant way to fix
56 > that minor issue. I did not test a setup where the ipv6 kernel stuff is
57 > enabled/loaded when connectivity is not available (other than in
58 > localhost).
59 >
60 > --
61 > Tom